Do you suffer from stress or anxiety? Or do you feel overwhelmed or lack confidence? Or do you just want to be the best version of you? If you do, keep reading to find out what NLP can do for YOU!
It was only a few years ago that I was introduced to NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) and it was one of those freak mistakes that took me on the first small steps of my NLP journey. I hit the wrong button on my laptop and then realised that I had booked onto a free NLP Foundation weekend. It was a freak mistake and the best mistake I had ever made.
I had not heard of NLP and certainly did not understand what it meant. “Neuro Linguistic Programming” – I understood all of the words individually but did not understand the overall concept. I wanted a definition that I could grasp and be able to articulate to others.
Perhaps it is the fact that there is not one specific definition. Perhaps it is because the tools can be used in so many different situations or contexts. Perhaps it is because it can have such amazing and varied impacts. In fact, it is probably a combination of these things that has meant I have found it very difficult to explain the meaning of NLP in simple terms that everyone can appreciate. This is the challenge for this series of articles.
I consider NLP under 3 categories each of which will be published separately:
- Understanding our brain’s language
- Communicating effectively and building relationships
- Modelling excellence
Understanding Our Brain’s Language
I like to think of the brain like a filing system (retro style) and we all have our own individual filing cabinet within our brain. Based on events in our life we take data in through our senses and from these we organise our thoughts, feelings and emotions and we form our beliefs and values and create our own personal meaning. Depending on how we store this information in our internal filing cabinet we follow strategies and we will respond or react to events or circumstances in a specific way. This is how we develop habits or behaviours and even though they may not serve us constructively, we continue to follow the same path because we have wired ourselves that way within our programming.
To make a change, we need to speak in our brain’s language. Let me give you an example…It always makes me laugh when you hear typical Brits abroad. They may ask for something in English and if the local does not understand they say it again in English but in a louder voice and will continue until they are shouting. The volume of the voice is not the problem; the problem is that the local does not understand the language.
In such a situation, you will need to find another way to communicate either by sign language or ideally by speaking in a language that they understand. Similarly, NLP teaches you how to communicate in the language your brain understands.
How can this help me?
- NLP can help to build confidence – so if you are anxious or nervous for example when speaking to an audience, NLP tools and techniques can provide you with the confidence to speak.
- When you are unsure or procrastinating on making a change in your life, NLP tools can help you find the right way forward for you.
- NLP can help you free your mind from your personal internal dialogue to achieve excellent performance whether in life, sport or business.NLP is a user manual for your brain. Like a user manual for your car, once you understand how the car works, you can fix it when it is not working and also service it regularly to keep it purring sweetly. So NLP can help us to rewire the programming so that the response and behaviour that we exhibit can serve us better. These changes can work simply and effectively to switch behaviours like a train branching on a new track when the points are switched.
NLP is a methodology, a toolbox of techniques and a whole lot more. I believe that NLP is an attitude which when embraced enables personal change and development in whichever way you want.
If you would like to understand more, sign up to my website or come along to one of my events. Like riding a bike, you can learn how to do it by reading a book, you can listen to a webinar but the real power of NLP is in experiencing it for yourself.
So come and give it a go and Discover the Power of You!
Find Tracy Ward; Your Catalyst for Change Here
The opinions expressed by the guest writer/blogger and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Suffolk And Norfolk Therapists or Yvonne Davey-Croft. Suffolk And Norfolk Therapists or Yvonne Davey-Croft are not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the Guest writer/bloggers. This work is the opinion of the writer/blogger. It is not the intention of Suffolk And Norfolk Therapists or Yvonne Davey-Croft to “malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organisation, company, or individual.